Monday, March 12, 2012

Story Formulation Part 1: The Point

There are plenty of novels that have been written with little to no point.  I want to have a point, though, and I feel this has complicated things a great deal.  I admire authors that can weave a profound point into the tales they tell.  For instance, the point of Star Wars is that you have to have balance between good and evil... but that in the end, good will prevail.  The Lord of the Rings, I believe, symbolizes the Christian belief of the journey to Heaven and the perils and temptations along the way.  To Kill a Mockingbird teaches us about the dangers of prejudice.  Many lesser novels I love deal with discovering inner strength, finding truth and being human.

I want to write a story that clearly demonstrates the dangers of not critically thinking about everything, as well as the negative effects of stating your beliefs in things you do not really believe in because it's easy and comfortable. I want my the stories I tell to be so entertaining and clever that it isn't till the end that you realize I've had you agreeing with things you didn't even know you agreed with before.  If I could write something that got even a handful of people thinking differently, I would consider it one of my greatest achievements.

So... the point.  The point is many things right now.  Some possible ideas include:

  • Watching news that is designed to sway you a particular way exclusively.
  • Talking to and engaging only with people who share your views.
  • Living your life unaware of where the food you eat comes from and how it is processed.
  • Living life unaware of where 99.99% of everything you buy comes from and how it is manufactured and delivered to the shelf of your favorite big box store.
  • Living your life unaware of the absolutely horrific tragedies that befall millions of people every single day because they don't live in a country that has standards and democracy.
  • Saying you believe in God because of how many people you would disappointed in you if you asked questions.
  • Not caring to ask any questions about anything beyond what's for dinner.
  • Not recognizing the comfort of routine and what it say about you (not necessarily in a negative way.)
  • The perversion, nonacceptance and exploitation of sex and how it is woven into everything we do naturally no matter how hard we fight it.
  • How the fear of death and the biological need to survive have kept myth alive in the face of evidence for thousands... if not millions... of years.

    That's only 10 ideas.  There are more.  So many, many more.  How do you make this interesting and exciting?  Especially to the mass who is so exactly the embodiment of these problems and thinking points?  What from the above list is THE MOST IMPORTANT of the main ideas?  What change would have the most impact?

2 comments:

  1. I love that you have started a blog! It has been on my To Do list for awhile. Your above mentioned ideas sound similiar to my classroom rants and discussions.....you would make an excellent teacher if you ever decide you want to pay for an overpriced education that's only value resides in the credential that allows you to shape the minds of an impending generation. Ridiculous......because you are by far more qualified than some of the teachers I know who waste the students time and minds. I think you would be awesome and you get summers off? Having a blog is great too.......you get to avoid the teenagers and there is minimal talking back. Either way I think you have something to share and appreciate your insight and wit! Write on right on sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mandy!! You really made my night. Do you blog at all?

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets